Hearing Aid Fitting & Programming
The hearing aid fitting appointment is one of the most exciting appointments – for both you and your audiologist. Your hearing aid fitting appointment at El Paso Hearing Aid and Audiology Center usually lasts between one and two hours. During this appointment, your audiologist doesn’t just make sure your hearing aid fits comfortably; they will also ensure you understand how to operate and take care of your hearing aid.
During this appointment, your audiologist will:
- Ensure your new hearing aid fit correctly
- Ensure the fit of your new hearing aids is comfortable
- Program your hearing aids
- Program any accessories or apps that come with your hearing aids
- Teach you how to use, clean and take care of your new devices
- Ask if you have any questions – and spend the time to answer them
After all, the most important part of this appointment is that you are comfortable and confident with your new devices.
At El Paso Hearing and Audiology Center, we recommend bringing a family member or close friend to the hearing aid fitting so they can help remember all the information that is given and be a support to you. He or she can be there to take notes that you can reference later while you and your hearing professional are fully engaged in the hearing aid fitting process.
When you put the hearing aids in for the first time, you may experience a range of emotions about the sounds you hear. This is normal and to be expected. The goal of the hearing aid is to make everyday sounds audible and comfortable, but the sound you hear should be clear and pleasant. It shouldn’t be too loud or hurt your ears. The fitting is the time to make adjustments to the hearing aids to ensure they fit comfortably and are providing you the most support. The hearing professional may do some testing to make sure the hearing aids are giving you enough sound where you need it.
Live speech mapping
One of those types of tests that enables audiologists to accurately adjust and fine-tune hearing aids is called live speech mapping. Live speech mapping uses cutting-edge technology that evaluates and fit patients for hearing aids with more efficiency and accuracy than traditional methods. The technology enables our audiologists to ‘see’ what our patients hear through their devices in real-time, for the most precise fitting possible.
Thanks to live speech mapping, the days of having to readjust hearing aids are nearly gone; that’s because live speech mapping is known for its accuracy. With live speech mapping, our audiologists at El Paso are able to interact with their patients in real-time for a more thorough and accurate fitting.
How it works
Live speech mapping works thanks to microphone technology. With this method, small microphones are placed in the ear canal, and the microphones pick up sounds, distinguishing the differences in how well you are able to hear speech through your new devices. The results are displayed on a screen so that you can also see the adjustments in real-time and participate in the process as well.
Benefits of live speech mapping:
- Offers immediate and tangible results
- Engages both you and your audiologist in the fitting process
- Shown to increase successful outcomes of fittings
- Provides more accurate programming of hearing aids
Preparing for the fitting
Getting your hearing aids is an exciting appointment. Because there’s a lot of material to cover, it’s a good idea to prepare before the appointment. Consider:
- Writing down any questions you have leading up to this appointment.
- Calling a friend or family member and inviting them to your appointment
- Calling your insurance provider to see if any costs of the hearing aid devices will be covered
- Clearing your schedule for three hours, in case your appointment runs long
- Setting realistic expectations: hearing aids enable people to live without hearing loss, but it takes time to get used to them. Don’t be surprised if you find yourself feeling more fatigued than usual; as you hear more, your brain is working more, too.